screen resolution of 800x600 or greater is recommended
profile pic   ChuBlogga!
Offended? Intrigued? Contact my manager.

    Here begins your journey into the mind of everybody's favorite asian, and I don't mean Jet Li.
What follows is the somewhat inane, mostly irrelevant, and self-important ramblings of a man on the brink of madness.
Welcome... to the Chu.

Tuesday, November 09, 2004
 Fun in Atlanta!    [L]

So I'm in Atlanta, GA for training - but who says I can't have fun?

The flight there was uneventful, which is pretty much how it should be. There was no screaming involved, so I'd call it a good flight. Landed, got the rental car, and somehow managed to find my way to the hotel (pic) after circling the city for 30 minutes. Just my luck to have driven in just as a big event at Philips Arena was letting out. And it also doesn't help that there are multiple streets with the same names. Bah!

The hotel has free wireless internet access (pic) in the rooms (pic)! Cue Handel's Messiah!

I met up with AJ & Hayley for dinner at a Thai/Sushi restaurant (I took the safe route and got the BBQ chicken), visited their new digs (pic) for a bit. Hayley hit the sack, then AJ and I went and saw The Incredibles with an old friend from the golden years, Brent.

One word review of The Incredibles: AMAZING.

That was yesterday. Today was my first day of class, which is Architecting and Designing J2EE Applications. If you don't know, then don't ask - you don't want to.

As I was chowing down on my mediocre substitute for Chipotle (pic), I was wondering what to do with my evening, since both AJ and Brent were busy tonight - and I happened to have been looking through the local events calender, and lo and behold, I find out that Switchfoot is playing in the city tonight. And the kicker: the venue is literally across the street from my hotel (pic).

Looks like I found my entertainment for the evening. I went over, waited in line for about 30 mins to get a ticket, then another 45 mins before the doors opened (pic). Kinda sucks to go to a concert alone, but oh well. I was one of the first dozen in, and managed to snag a good 2nd row seat in the balcony (pic) - right behind Huge Head Man. Sigh. But it was primo real estate, I wasn't budging, not even for Ginormous Noggin Dude.

The opening bands were decent - The first was "Honorary Title" (pic), and the second group was "The Format" (pic and pic). Honorary Title was alright, a little too emo for my tastes. I've heard one song from The Format, which I liked a lot - the rest of their repetoire was good too, but their overall style didn't do much for me. Both the bands were very... I dunno, "Happy Pop Punk Emo" I guess I would call it. Way too many upbeat, Major chord songs :)

Switchfoot, however, rocked my face off. The last time I saw them was quite a few years back when they did a tour with Third Day - and they are 10x better now! They sound great live, the lead singer sings great live, and they do a good job of interacting with the audience - overall, great showmanship.

And is it just me, or does the lead singer look like a younger, buffer Dana Carvey? I half expected him to start singing "She's choppin broccoli, choppin brock-o-lay, choppin brock-a-ley-hey, choppin broccolay! choppin broccolay! She chop, she chop HUH!


Anyway, Switchfoot pics below the fold.



You actually had me going with that last link. I clicked it several times and couldn't figure out why it didn't work!

By Blogger Joel, at 11/09/2004 08:28:00 AM      


^^^ speak up ^^^