screen resolution of 800x600 or greater is recommended
profile pic   ChuBlogga!
Offended? Intrigued? Contact my manager.

    Here begins your journey into the mind of everybody's favorite asian, and I don't mean Jet Li.
What follows is the somewhat inane, mostly irrelevant, and self-important ramblings of a man on the brink of madness.
Welcome... to the Chu.

Monday, January 17, 2005
 Infectious Enthusiasm    [L]

I started reading Kim Du Toit's website a year ago - and he rekindled in me the desire to own a firearm. Now, I'm all for the 2A, especially the Constitution, and the foundation of our country, and all that - but to tell you the truth, I wanted a gun just for the sake of having one, plus I thought it would be fun. Oh how right I was. I picked up an excellent Springfield XD-40 Tactical just after my birthday, and have put a few thousands rounds through it since then.

I must admit that the purpose of my guns is largely recreational - it's a lot of fun to go to the range and try and improve your skills - an activity with an immediate and apparent result, where I can see a marked improvement in my abilities every time I go. But then I started thinking - why not look into more responsible uses? So I took my state-mandated training courses and got my CHL a few months later. I didn't really carry much at first, but I started to think about duty - and Kim's excellent analogy captures my thoughts perfectly:

If you don't own a gun, you owe it to yourself at least to learn how to work one. Some day, someone may ask you for help, and it would be a serious breach of civic responsibility to be unable to help them.

Imagine if you were asked to drive an injured child to the hospital, and you couldn't, because you'd always been to afraid to learn how.

That's what we're talking about here.

Nowadays I try to carry as often as possible, even if it is only a .22lr pocket gun, because I never want to be in the position where I could've done something if I had only brought along my gun. I never want to have to regret another person coming to harm because of my inaction. Spider-Man has it right: "With more power comes more responsibility." And no doubt about it, the power and ability to use a firearm carries with it a great mountain of responsibility.

Along with my newfound respect for firearms comes a healthy (and contagious) enthusiasm - so far, I have introduced more than few friends to shooting, and several members of my immediate family as well. Constant participation on websites like Kim's, Ogre's, and The High Road continue to educate and increase my ability.

Once I felt confident in my level of abilities, I started taking newbies out shooting - grown men and women alike who grew up in the mindset of the GFW, but once exposed to the reality of the matter, learned to enjoy, and even love, to shoot.

Such as my friend Nicole - for the longest time, she said she would go with me to the range "sometime", but she always found excuses because she was so afraid of guns. However, I eventually got her to go with me, and dragged her to the range. She was so scared at first, she almost stayed in the car - but I convinced her to at least come in and watch me shoot. I signed in, took my lane and started firing. Then she wanted to come in and actually stand behind me and watch. Then after a few minutes, she wanted to actually shoot. Good thing I got the Browning BuckMark Camper thanks to Kim's recommendation, because it proved to be just perfect for her.



So I loaded up a few rounds for her, taught her proper stance and control, and let her go at it.....



and she absolutely destroyed the target.



Look at that! I put up that Shoot-n-see spot up there after a few mags, and she absolutely destroyed that 2" circle at 7y, and it was her very first day shooting.

I was so jealous.

By the end of our time there, she was already an expert at loading and swapping magazines, working the BuckMark, clearing jams - and was clearly enjoying herself. The old, GFW Nicole was gone, and in her place was the self-confident, ass-kicking Nicole. It was a beautiful transformation.

I barely got any time in for myself, but I was lucky, since she had to reload sometime :)



So, I converted a GFW into a GWW (Gun-Wielding Woman), and learned a few things about how to be a good instructor at the same time - not bad for a few hours' work.

Labels:




Tell Nicole she looks pretty hot with that pistola.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/19/2005 07:34:00 AM      


^^^ speak up ^^^