screen resolution of 800x600 or greater is recommended
profile pic   ChuBlogga!
Offended? Intrigued? Contact my manager.

    Here begins your journey into the mind of everybody's favorite asian, and I don't mean Jet Li.
What follows is the somewhat inane, mostly irrelevant, and self-important ramblings of a man on the brink of madness.
Welcome... to the Chu.

Wednesday, August 24, 2005
 Cedarville Fun    [L]

I just found this on one of my many travails across this here interweb, and I figured all you Cedarvillains would get a kick out of it: Cedarville professors on ProfQuotes.


Also, if you're a little daring, here's the picture that earned me quite a few demerits my freshman year.

I'll get to that story in an update.

UPDATE
Ok, so let's get into the story behind the infamous Dixon picture.
It was my Freshman year at Cedarville University (well, back then it was College). Thanks to Dave Perlow, I had just discovered the wonderful world of photoshop. So I started off doing what everybody does when they learn how to use photoshop - and that is making fun of their friends. In this case, it happened to be my roommates and neighbors in Lawlor Unit 40:
show me!


So, as the year went on, I managed to get more and more proficient in Photoshop - not just technically proficient, but also comedically proficient - I was quickly learning how to generate pictures for maximum comedic effect.

And the grand culmination of my efforts resulted in the following picture:
show me!


After I finished and had a good laugh at the work my hands had wrought, I sent the picture in an email to the guys in my immediate unit/co-unit at Lawlor - 14 guys. Inside of an hour, it had spread all around campus, and I even had it forwarded back to me multiple times. I also hear it hit several years' worth of alumni. About this time, my IM starts going crazy. For a brief, shining moment, I was famous. However, it would soon turn to infamy.

Later on that night, I get an email from the men's Dean: "Philip, we need to talk. Come see me tomorrow at 9am."

Apparently, some knucklehead thought either 1) hey, this picture is offensive and the author needs to be punished or 2) hey, i'm an idiot, I think the stuffy Dean of men at Cedarville University would find it funny as well. Like I said, a knucklehead.

Anyhoo, it wasn't hard to trace it back to me - my name was there, loud and proud, buried at the root of the email chain.

So, I meet with the Dean the next day. Standard boilerplate disciplinary talk, why did you do this, how did you think this was funny, what do you think Dr. Dixon would think of it, etc etc. He was going to give me the standard textbook disciplinary action for slandering the college/administration: 12 demerits. That wouldn't have been a big problem, since it took 16 demerits in order to get suspended. However, I already had 4 due to various parking fines and/or having my shirt untucked. After a bit of discussion, he admitted that it could possibly be humorous, and the intent wasn't to slander, so he bumped it down to 8 demerits, allowing me to continue my fruitless time at Cedarville.

So, the moral of the story is, send your photoshopped pictures from an anonymous email account.



Ahhhh, the infamous picture I've been hearing about. I always knew Dixon had a secret life. Now you need to make a new pic with the new president...perhaps the pic could be from VSC?

By Blogger KT, at 8/24/2005 04:40:00 PM      


ahhhahahaha!!!

I went to Cedarville for two years, but now I live in Oregon with my wife. It's totally random that I stumbled across your blog - I found it when looking for code to modify my blogger template.

wow. talk about random.

And I saw that you have Meredith Gbur linked on your blog, she just married one of my best high school buds, Brian.

wow. small world. Especially when you add the internet to it.

Man, the ville was fun.

By Blogger Ken, at 10/03/2005 07:42:00 AM      


I need to clarify that last comment:

The ville was fun because of jokes like that and some good honest people I met during my time there.

The dumb rules were not fun. I actually got a letter of supsension and wasn't going to be allowed to return to Cedarville for a year due to chapel absences... that took a while to straighten out.

By Blogger Ken, at 10/03/2005 07:50:00 AM      


I know this was an old post, but we've found some funny stuff on the ville as of late so i was looking for some stories. I remember that pic when I was at cedarville. absolutely classic. also remember hearing about somebody getting in trouble for it! was it Purple who busted you? whatever, sweet pic.

By Blogger Brian J. Neises, at 12/08/2005 07:07:00 AM      


Yup, that was me, and I walked out of Dean Purple's office the next winter morning 4 demerits heavier.

Fun times.

By Blogger Chu, at 12/08/2005 01:19:00 PM      


Is it wrong to think Dixon looked semi-attractive in that picture?

haha, just kidding Paul D. knew you were reading this the whole time.

And Nieses, what's up. you still living in Turkey?

By Anonymous Tina Fey, at 12/27/2005 05:01:00 PM      


^^^ speak up ^^^