screen resolution of 800x600 or greater is recommended
profile pic   ChuBlogga!
Offended? Intrigued? Contact my manager.

    Here begins your journey into the mind of everybody's favorite asian, and I don't mean Jet Li.
What follows is the somewhat inane, mostly irrelevant, and self-important ramblings of a man on the brink of madness.
Welcome... to the Chu.

Saturday, September 24, 2005
 Serenity Now!    [L]

I knew this "blogging" thing was going to pay off eventually!

I got two free tickets to see a press screening of Serenity, the Firefly movie, next Tuesday!

Needless to say, I'm pretty psyched about it.

Firefly was a short-lived TV series on Fox, and like all good shows, Fox pulled the plug on them mid-season. But the show had gained a pretty loyal (cultish) following, and when the DVD set came out, they sold like hotcakes.

I'm not one to immediately jump on a bandwagon, so I didn't pick it up until a few months ago - and I was hooked. The writing, acting, and dialogue in the series were all top-notch. Great actors, good stories, and by golly, it was just plain fun. I watched all 13 episodes inside of a week.

It may seem at first to be your typical sci-fi fare - but it immediately differentiates itself by not making the sci-fi the focus of the story - the sci-fi is merely a backdrop for what is ultimately a story about the crew. If I had to call it anything, i'd call it a Space Comedy Drama Action Western. It's a real credit to the writers and creator that the show is able to blend in all those qualities, and does it well.

SER.CAN.MOBILE.BB.Side
Movie Synopsis:
Joss Whedon, the Oscar® - and Emmy - nominated writer/director responsible for the worldwide television phenomena of BUFFY THE VAMPIRE, ANGEL and FIREFLY, now applies his trademark compassion and wit to a small band of galactic outcasts 500 years in the future in his feature film directorial debut, Serenity. The film centers around Captain Malcolm Reynolds, a hardened veteran (on the losing side) of a galactic civil war, who now ekes out a living pulling off small crimes and transport-for-hire aboard his ship, Serenity. He leads a small, eclectic crew who are the closest thing he has left to family –squabbling, insubordinate and undyingly loyal.



UPDATE

Yes, I've seen the Firefly movie - who wants to touch me?

I'm still a little... agape... at the movie... All I can really say at this point is that the HS* factor is very high.

I took Clara with me, and while she enjoyed the movie, a lot of the dramatic impact was definitely lost on her, having not watched the series. I highly recommend you watch at least some of the series on DVD prior to seeing the movie - it will increase your enjoyment of it twofold.

*figure it out



Hmmm...I saw that trailer last night. I didn't know what it was, but I remember thinking that I was probably a few tenths of a degree dumber for having watched it. Most promising clip dialogue:

Captain: Do you guys wanna run this ship?

Other guy: Yeah!

Captain: Well...you can't!

But if you say so, ChuBlogga...

By Blogger Scott, at 9/27/2005 05:54:00 PM      


^^^ speak up ^^^