screen resolution of 800x600 or greater is recommended
profile pic   ChuBlogga!
Offended? Intrigued? Contact my manager.

    Here begins your journey into the mind of everybody's favorite asian, and I don't mean Jet Li.
What follows is the somewhat inane, mostly irrelevant, and self-important ramblings of a man on the brink of madness.
Welcome... to the Chu.

Tuesday, November 08, 2005
 Voting is for winners    [L]

So I got up this morning and did my duty.

After that, I got dressed, freshened up and did my civic duty.

The voting process itself went pretty smoothly - there were no lines, the ballot was short this year, and the Diebold voting machine seemed to work flawlessly (more on that later). I was in and out of there in about 7 minutes.

I must admit to being a somewhat half-hearted voter this year, as I had no idea about any of the candidates for city council, school board, etc. - so I didn't vote for any of them. And this is an important point - if you don't know anything about the issue, DON'T VOTE ON IT. However, you can take my word for it that Ohio Issues 1-5 are bad, and vote against them.

On the other hand, you can blindly vote with some degree of success if you follow a few basic rules:
1. Always vote against the Modern American Liberal (99% of the Democrat party).
Corollary: Republicans are getting to be just as bad - so you must choose if you are going to be a "lesser-of-two-evils" or a third-party kind of guy.
2. Always vote against more government creation, legislation, taxation, interference (which usually corresponds with #1).
Corollary: Always vote for measures which promote individual liberty and responsibility.
3. Always vote against a measure in which the government says, "Trust us" (acts as it's own oversight).

Regarding those Diebold voting machines, they are an issue that for once, I am in some agreement with the Democrats about. First of all, you don't get a printed confirmation of your ballot, so there's no paper trail. Secondly, the software is not open-source (open to public scrutiny). And thirdly, from a Software Engineer's standpoint, the vote confirmation process is inefficient and potentially error-prone.

The confirmation process has you going through your ballot page-by-page, and as you confirm each page, it prints the results to the roll (from what I can hear, anyway). My problem with this is that you can also go backwards and change your votes after some of the ballot has already been confirmed and printed to the rolls. Now, I’m sure they keep track of that somehow, but it certainly seems prone to error - why not just confirm the whole of the ballot once, before writing the results? Baffling.
(Keep in mind that this is all mere conjecture rather than hard fact)

But while I have my reservations regarding the voting machines, I must say that overall it made the voting process pretty smooth, was very readable, and very intuitive. It should also speed up the vote-counting process exponentially.

Coming up next: It should be harder to vote.

Results Update

Looks like most Ohioans agreed with me on state issues 2-5:
Issue 2: NO (63%/37%)
Issue 3: NO (67%/33%)
Issue 4: NO (70%/30%)
Issue 5: NO (70%/30%)

Unfortunately, it looks like Issue 1 has passed, (54%/46%). When will people learn that it's not the responsibility of the government to "create" jobs? When will people learn that they can't give the government free reign to our pockets and trust them to spend it wisely? When will people learn that the secret to a freer and more productive society is less government? Sigh.

Well, at least the bad fruits of the Issue 1 decision won't be felt for a few years - maybe i'll be in a more like-minded state by then.



I too did my duty, then did my civic duty. Still no electronic machines in Enon. I'm thinking they'll keep having us write on stone tablets for a few more years before they discover papyrus which will be amazing converted into paper.

I voted NO on everything and like you had no idea who school board people were, so I just skipped.

By Blogger Joel, at 11/08/2005 02:27:00 PM      


still using paper punchers in cincinnati, at least in hyde park.

there was a poll volunteer at my voting place who apparently thought i was really dumb, so she walked me to my booth, inserted the paper in the holder for me and talked me through how to turn the pages and how to punch the paper and how the right columns correspond with the right page of issues/people. the left column with the left page. When she finished I asked her who I should vote for, just for giggles.

do all guys do their duty every morning? i don't think girls have as many duties as guys. wonder why.

By Blogger lauren, at 11/09/2005 10:43:00 AM      


Duty is heavier than a mountain,
death is lighter than a feather.

For me, duty happens whenever it happens - morning, noon, and night, even on holidays.

By Blogger Chu, at 11/09/2005 02:36:00 PM      


even on holidays? nooo. not on holidays.

By Blogger lauren, at 11/09/2005 04:15:00 PM      


Per Lauren's first comment...

In regards to duties, I beg to differ. With my first bite of oatmeal in the morning, that triggers it. More duties = healthy colon. A healthy person's duty should call after every meal...or even more.

By Blogger KT, at 11/11/2005 10:39:00 PM      


^^^ speak up ^^^