screen resolution of 800x600 or greater is recommended
profile pic   ChuBlogga!
Offended? Intrigued? Contact my manager.

    Here begins your journey into the mind of everybody's favorite asian, and I don't mean Jet Li.
What follows is the somewhat inane, mostly irrelevant, and self-important ramblings of a man on the brink of madness.
Welcome... to the Chu.

Thursday, December 15, 2005
 Hit and Run    [L]

It happened again! Some criminally negligent driver backed into my mailbox for the third time!

If you've been over to the Chu-plex, you'd know how tricky the driveway can be. There's a sharp curve at the end that makes it extremely easy for any slight moron to knock over my mailbox. In the 2 years i've lived here, the mailbox has been backed over (now) 3 times! Not to mention the lightpole which has been backed over once. The count would surely be much higher had I been quicker about repairing it after each incident.

What really gets my goat is that NOONE EVER CLAIMS GUILT. Not a single time. Given that the only people that ever come over are friends, then that means 1-3 of my friends are responsible for damaging my property, and they haven't fessed up to it.

The most recent repair was less than a month ago - I got some quikrete, filled in the gaps around the post and the previous cement, added water, and viola! Sturdy mailbox. I even put a reflector directly in front of the mailbox to give it higher visibility.

And tonight some pissant fool decided to use my driveway as a turnaround, and knocked the cursed mailbox over again.

Thanks to the copious amount of snow on the ground, I can clearly see the villianous cretin's tire tracks - from the car's entry from the road, where it stopped in the middle of my driveway, backed straight off the driveway onto the yard and into the mailbox, drove forward, turned the wheel and went out correctly, and scurried away into the night, too uncivilized to leave a note of responsibility.

I swear, I'm going to put a landmine right behind the mailbox, or some other sort of car-damaging trap. Let oblivious drivers beware the house of Chu.



I can legitimately say it was not me.

Secondly, I think tire spikes would be a good rememdy if a land mine is in short supply. If all else fails use an IED. I hear those are pretty effective and the culprit is rather hard to catch.

By Blogger Joel, at 12/16/2005 09:26:00 AM      


Oh, to have been there when you walked out to see it ran over.

I'm surprised you didn't mention the time Jeremy's car got smashed over the curve and into the mailbox.

By Anonymous Lee Cavender, at 12/16/2005 10:36:00 AM      


Right Lee, I had almost forgotten that.

Ok, that guy was supposed to drop off $50 to get it fixed, but I don't think he ever did.

Sigh.

Landmines. It's the only answer.

By Blogger Chu, at 12/16/2005 02:18:00 PM      


You could setup a cheap webcam to monitor the box (have it publish the pics to your computer, and only keep like 2 days worth) and the next time someone does it you'd have their license plate and could leave a nice little note (or, you know, a bag full of Glory's glory) in their mailbox ;)

By Blogger Ian, at 12/17/2005 09:20:00 AM      


Ian, that's an idea that has crossed my mind more than a few times - do you have any recommendations as to what hardware/software?

By Blogger Chu, at 12/17/2005 12:34:00 PM      


Never used 'em myself, sorry. I'm sure you could pick up something at best buy for under $30. I would think they'd all have options to publish to an FTP site.

By Blogger Ian, at 12/17/2005 07:45:00 PM      


^^^ speak up ^^^